You don’t understand email (maybe).
A lot of criticisms I see from email services from the paranoid is that there is little to no email services that provide total privacy. And if there are services that try to provide this, they always have a flaw that can make it fall short.
ProtonMail has been getting a lot of proper news coverage recently, I might go as far as to say it will become the next NordVPN, with Brave, Nord, and Proton being the big three “privacy” companies. Personally, I kind of like it, and a lot of disposable or non-attributable emails are just ProtonMail accounts I make using a VPN. Would I completely recommend it? Not always, there are serious issues I have distaste with like no support for other email clients.
What I’m trying to say in short terms is, when it comes to private email you don’t really have much of a choice, unless:
- Your email service is private, secure, and mainstream, but the most common victim of the legal system (ProtonMail) which you also can’t use your own custom email client with.
- Your email service is private, secure, not mainstream, and would rather close down at any time (Riseup) and is invite only.
- Your email service is private, secure, reputable, but costs money (Posteo)
- It’s a service that is literally a meme.
- You host the service yourself (Have fun with that)
It’s also worth noting that any company or service could be a complete dick and block the domains of these services, requiring you to use GMail or something. When I spoke about privacy guidance, I said that you cannot use something like this without avoiding the possibility you may stand out more than someone who just uses something mainstream/what you’re uncomfortable with.
Personally? I think Posteo is the best, I use it for personal matters, but for brett.icu domain emails, I use ProtonMail as the latter two services dont support custom domains. (Yes, I’m aware of disroot) If I am using accounts, I’d like to say you’re better off just making several non-attributable emails that you can use for just the accounts until such a perfect service existed.
If you ever want to email me, I have attached PGP on this website, that key is used separately to my ProtonMail one if you do not trust them, you could also use it to get in touch with me elsewhere if that is the case.>> Home